- What process should I follow if one of my family members asks me to help with a serious problem in their life?
- I know a lot of things about the Bible and the gospel, but how do I use those eternal truths to help someone grow in their walk with God?
- If a friend was needing counsel to make a significant decision, what Scriptures would I point him to that would help him discern God’s will?
- Do the Scriptures provide any principles and a process for resolving conflict between friends?
- If my close friend has step-children, does the Bible have any principles and instruction that would help his family become united and God-honoring?
These and many other questions will be addressed and answered using Scripture at the first annual Spring Advanced Training Class hosted by The Biblical Counseling and Discipleship Association of Southern California (BCDASoCal).
If you completed the initial 30 hour training hosted by BCDASoCal in the Fall of 2011 or its equivalent (attended in person or listened online), then you are qualified to attend the 8 sessions of the Spring Advanced Training Class which begins on Sunday, February 26th. The following is the rest of the information about this training class that you will need to know:
COST: $100 per student/$185 per couple plus texts; light refreshments will also be provided.
REGISTER ONLINE: www.BCDASoCal.org/register
LOCATION: The Bridge Bible Fellowship, 18644 Sherman Way Blvd, Reseda, CA 91335; Building “E” Lower Level (Basement)
DATES: 8 Sundays between February 26 and April 29, 2012
TIME: Sundays: 4:30 to 7:30pm
- February 26 Dr. John Street Purifying the Heart of Sexual Idolatry
- March 4 Wayne Johnston Discipleship / Union with Christ
- March 11 David Lee Conflict Resolution / Biblical Decision Making
- March 18 Dr. Robert Somerville Eight “I’s”: Biblical Counseling Methods
- March 25 Dr. Robert Somerville Eight “I’s”: Biblical Counseling Methods
- April 1 Wayne Johnston Parenting / Biblical Love (Palm Sunday)
- April 8 EASTER (No Class)
- April 15 Dr. John Street Blended Family Issues
- April 22 No Class
- April 29 Dr. Ernie Baker Doctrines of Sin and Scripture
CLASS SYLLABUS, HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT & STUDENT LECTURE NOTES:
- Download Syllabus/Homework Assignments/Lecture Notes (MSWord 97-04, 138 pp.)
- Download Syllabus/Homework Assignments/Lecture Notes (Adobe PDF, 136 pp.)
- Bring to 1st Class: downloaded syllabus/lecture notes in a 3-ring binder
- COUNSELING, John MacArthur, Nelson, 2005
- SEEING WITH NEW EYES, David Powlison, P & R, 2003
- SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY, Wayne Grudem, Zondervan, 1994
- COMMUNICATION AND CONFLICT RESOLUTION (BOOKLET), Stuart Scott, Focus Publishing, 2003
METHODS OF LEARNING:
- Classroom Lectures
- In-Class Group Projects
- Counseling and Discipleship Activities
- Open Discussions of Counseling Topics
- Weekly Pre-Class Forum for Discussion of Biblical Counseling Cases
- Homework Assignments
- On-Line Discussions
- Reading Assignments from NANC Required Texts
THE ADVANCED COURSE:
- Two Different Sets of Classes
- Taught in Alternating Years
- Each Class is 8 weeks in Length
- Each Class is Equivalent to a Two-Unit Undergrad Level Class